Resident Information: Do I Need a Permit?

Welcome to the resident information page, which has information on town ordinances and permitting for typical residential projects and special events. 

The information is not intended to fully explain all policies, but rather to answer questions residents may have before starting a new project. 

Please contact the Department of Planning and Zoning with additional questions and to confirm that your project comforms with ordinances.


Permits, Accessory Structures & Temporary Uses

Political Signs


Click here for information about placing political signs in Holly Springs.




Garage Sales

133 Roslyn Hills shed (2).JPG

Sheds & Accessory Structure


Driveway Widening

  • Permit Required Download Permit
  • Quick Reference Guide
  • The maximum allowed driveway widening and expansion may vary. Contact the Department of Planning & Zoning for additional information
  • Always check with your subdivision's Home Owner Association (HOA) for additional regulations and/or approvals.


Pools / Hot Tubs

  • Permit Required. For additional information about obtaining permits, please contact the Code Enforcement Department.
  • Quick Reference Guide
  • Setbacks vary by zoning district, contact the Department of Planning & Zoning for additional information.
  • Always check with your subdivision's Home Owner Association (HOA) for additional regulations and/or approvals.

Information for obtaining permits from Planning & Zoning

The Department of Planning & Zoning would like to make the permitting process as easy as possible. In order to process your permit, you will need to submit a permit application, plot plan, and permit fee. Please visit the Petitions, Review Schedules, and Fee Sheets page for the most current information.

Plot Plan

A plot plan is required for all permits. A plot plan is a detailed sketch, survey, or other drawing of your property which must clearly show the property lines, any existing structures, and the proposed project. Please clearly indicate the setbacks of your project (the distance your proposed project will be located from all property lines) on the plot plan. Please contact the Department of Planning & Zoning to obtain setback information for your property.

Street Trees

Street Trees If you live in a home with a street tree, congratulations! You are a vital link to the future beauty and health of your neighborhood. With regular attention, your tree will grow and produce more shade. Watering and pruning help keep the tree and other landscaping healthy. Click here for more information.

Get Involved

Be a part of it! Volunteer to serve on a town board or committee.


Other Helpful Information

Property Information and Mapping

Wake County provides a wide range of property information through the IMAPS website. Information such as property owner information, tax records, aerial views, demographics, planning jurisdictions, voting precincts, environmental data and much more are accessible through this web based mapping system. Please be advised that this information is updated and maintained by Wake County. The Town of Holly Springs does not guarantee the accuracy of the information provided. Click Here to access IMAPS.


Many properties contain different easements such as power line easements, storm drainage easements, and utility easements. There are limits as to what is allowed to be placed in these easement areas. If you would like more information regarding the easements on your property, please contact the Department of Engineering at (919) 557-3938.