- About Water Leaks
About Water Leaks
- Leaks between the meter and the home are the customer's responsibility.
- Leaks between the meter and the street do not affect the meter reading, since the leaking water does not pass through the meter.
- Please report waterline breaks between the meter and the street to Holly Springs Utilities & Infrastructure at (919) 577-3150.
How to Check for a Running Toilet
Sometimes, a water leak, running toilet, or dripping faucet is discovered when an unusually high bill is received. One common cause for a high bill is a running toilet. Here's how to check if you have a running toilet:
- Put food coloring or colored drink mix such as Kool-Aid in the tank of the toilet, and don't flush it.
- Return in about 30 minutes. If any of the colored water from the tank is in the bowl of the toilet, your toilet is leaking.
- Leaking toilets can waste a lot of water, and often people don't realize a toilet is leaking because the water isn't going onto the floor.
- If you still have questions regarding your bill, please call Utility Billing and Customer Service at (919) 557-3925, press option 3.
Interested in being notified of a potential water leak before you receive a bill?
- Sign up for WaterSmart to view and track your water usage, and make sure to set up notifications for issues like potential leaks.
- The portal is offered at no additional cost to customers as a way to help preserve a valuable natural resource while improving service.