- Projects & Initiatives
- Development Projects
- Downtown Village District Area Plan
Downtown Village District Area Plan
About this project
The Town is updating the long range plan that guides the growth, development, and redevelopment of downtown Holly Springs, also known as the Village District Area.
Through this update, the Town hopes to learn:
- how the Downtown Village District Area can continue to grow and evolve in a rapidly changing and dynamic environment
- how to incentivize new opportunities
- how the downtown area can continue to develop its sense of place in the community.
The plan covers Main Street from Third Street, where the post office is located, south past the hospital to N.C. 55. From east to west, the area is roughly sandwiched between Avent Ferry Road and Raleigh Street. While this area currently may be referred to as the “Downtown Village District,” that name may be updated based on feedback from the community.
Downtown Village District Area
Discovery (October-December 2022)
The initial phase consisted of a lot of research. The project consultants studied everything from census data to traffic flows to what kinds of trees grow best in Holly Springs. The history of Holly Springs was studied, as well as social, environmental, and economic conditions. During this time, the first community workshop was held, in addition to meetings with elected officials, advisory committee members, and stakeholders. Click here to view the results from the community survey conducted during this phase.
Analysis & Concept Development (January-March 2023)
All the information collected during the discovery phase was analyzed. The consultant made maps and diagrams to help understand the built and natural environment. During this time, the second community workshop was held, in which the consultant presented three (3) draft ideas for the Village District and gauged the preferences of elected officials, advisory committee members, stakeholders, and the public. Click here to take the second community survey.
Draft Plan (April-July 2023)
Once existing conditions are understood, the consultant will draft a master plan that will include land use (e.g. residential, commercial, recreational, etc.), character and aesthetics, parks and open spaces, and multi-modal transportation (cars, buses, bikes, and more). During this time, another community workshop is scheduled. Meetings with elected officials, advisory committee members, and stakeholders are also planned.
Getting the Plan Approved (August-September 2023)
Based on community feedback on the draft plan, the consultant will draft a master plan that will include land use (which literally means what the land is used for, such as residential or industrial), character and aesthetics, parks and open spaces, and multi-modal transportation (cars, buses, bikes, and more!). The consultant will provide a step-by-step action plan for Holly Springs and partners to realize the vision the community helped create.
A completed plan is anticipated to be adopted in Fall 2023.
- Project Kick-off (Fall 2022)
- Public Engagement
- Community Survey #1 (October - November 2022)
- Advisory Committee Meeting #1 (November 2, 2022)
- Stakeholder Interviews (November 17, 2022)
- Community Open House #1 (November 17, 2022)
- Community Open House #2 (March 20, 2023)
- Community Survey #2 (March - April 2023)
- Discovery Review (Public Engagement Summary #1)
- Three (3) Draft Ideas (Presented during the Analysis and Concept Development phase)
- Growth and Development Master Planning
- Plan Document Drafting
- Additional Community Engagement Opportunities