UDO PROJECT - Rewriting the Unified Development Ordinance
The Town of Holly Springs is rewriting its Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), regulations that impact the way development can occur in town. The rewrite is an effort to ensure the UDO reflects the goals and values the community expressed in the recently completed Land Use & Character Plan. The rewrite also will provide consistency within the regulations.
What is the UDO?
The UDO includes zoning and subdivision regulations, as well as a variety of other regulations covering topics such as street and utility design and forestry that all impact the way that development can occur in town.
Why rewrite the UDO?
Implementing our community’s vision
- Holly Springs has grown and changed dramatically since 2002 with its population increasing from around 11,550 in 2002 to more than 40,000 today. In October 2019, Town Council approved a new Land Use & Character Plan section of the Comprehensive Plan, which considers where we are now and identifies the town’s vision for its future. The new UDO will implement this vision through regulations that reflect the goals and values the community expressed in the Land Use & Character Plan.
Consistency, clarity, organization
- Since the UDO was originally approved in 2002, it has been amended more than 20 times, leading to the need for a thorough evaluation of the document as a whole to ensure it is clear, concise and well-organized.
Community Engagement Meeting #2
Held Sept. 16, 2021 at Holly Springs Town Hall, the second community engagement meeting was an opportunity for the community to discuss and share thoughts about key rewrite topic areas, including:
- Districts & Uses: Encouraging the creation of developments that include more active places and a better mix of buildings that can be used for different purposes
- Open Space & Preservation: Preserving quality tree areas and focusing on opportunities for parks and recreation within developments
- Site & Building Design: Promoting more flexibility in building design, more pedestrian-friendly sites, and development of more unique destinations that create a sense of place
- Review & Approval Processes: Streamlining the development process so it is clearer for both developers and the public
Miss the meeting but want to share your feedback? Send us an email at UDOproject@hollyspringsnc.gov.
Planning Board Update - March 2021
Community Engagement Meeting #1
Held June 17, 2021 at the Holly Springs Cultural Center, this meeting provided an introduction to the UDO Re-Write Project, as well as the early drafts of some of the first sections of the document. View the slideshow and audio from the meeting.
As the UDO document is crafted, the draft sections will be posted here. This will be revised through feedback from the public, Town Council, town boards and committees, and town staff.
- 1.0 PURPOSE & APPLICABILITY - Open House Draft
- 2.0 DISTRICTS - Open House Draft
- 3.0 USE PROVISIONS - Open House Draft
- 4.0 OPEN SPACE CONSERVATION & IMPROVEMENTS - Open House Draft
- 5.0 LANDSCAPING - Open House Draft
- 6.0 PARKING AND DRIVEWAYS - Open House Draft
- 7.0 STREETS & UTILITIES - Open House Draft
- 8.0 SITE & BUILDING DESIGN STANDARDS - Open House Draft
- 9.0 SIGNS - Open House Draft
- 10.0 NONCONFORMITIES - Open House Draft
- 11.0 ADMINISTRATION & DECISION-MAKING BODIES - Open House Draft
- 12.0 VIOLATIONS & ENFORCEMENT - Open House Draft
- 13.0 DEFINITIONS - Open House Draft