Summer Work Crew Information
The Summer Work Crew program provides opportunities for individuals ages 14 to 16, in areas such as community involvement, landscaping, team building, leadership development and more. Click here for the Summer Work Crew 2022 application.
- This program is for ages 14-16 only
- Applicant must be 14 by the start of the program.
- Must not be 17 by the start of the program.
- Applicant must meet age requirements
- Have the ability to work outside for up to an 8-hour day, lift up to 40 lbs., work with others, and follow instructions
- Must arrange own transportation to and from Bass Lake Park each day
- Must be able to commit to an entire four-week session. Time off for vacation, other extracurricular activities, etc. is not permitted.
To Apply, Please Submit:
- Completed Town of Holly Springs Summer Work Crew Employment Application
- Two letters of recommendation from local references. Teachers, counselors, instructors, past or current employers are all examples of acceptable references. Letters from family members will not be accepted
- An essay of no less than 1,000 words explaining reasons for wanting to participate in this program, as well as your personal short- and long-term life goals. Essay should be printed with 1” margins, double spaced and in 12 pt Times New Roman font. Please do not exceed 2,000 words.
- Write the following statement at the bottom of your essay and sign your name: “The above essay is my own original work and was written honestly without the assistance or influence of others.”
Application, essay and letters of recommendation must all be submitted together* and dropped off at the Bass Lake Front counter, located in the Visitor’s Center, no later than specified deadline submission date:
Bass Lake Park
900 Bass Lake Rd
Holly Springs, NC 27540
*Letters of recommendation must be included in package. No letters faxed or mailed separately will be accepted.
- Print the application packet.
- Follow all directions carefully.
- Submit application by February 21, 2022 – April 8, 2022 Completed application packets can be submitted at Bass Lake starting at 8am on February 21, 2022. All applications must be in by 5:00pm on April 8, 2022. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Incomplete application packets will not be accepted.
- There are no exceptions for incomplete or late applications.
- You will be expected to work the entire 4-week session.
- There are no exceptions for vacations, school activities, dentist appointments, doctor appointments, etc.
- If you are unable to fulfill your work commitment, you will be replaced with the next eligible candidate.
- Each session has a maximum of 12 participants.
- July 4 is a Town holiday and Summer Work Crew participants will not work that day.
Hours of Work:
- 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Monday through Friday
- $4.25/hour (youth minimum wage)
- Work experience to list on your next job application or resume
- Pay periods are every two weeks.
- You will be paid by direct deposit into a checking or savings account. The participant must have a checking or savings account in their name.
- You are responsible for your own timesheet.
- If a child or grandchild of a Town of Holly Springs Parks & Recreation employee is selected for this program, they may participate but will not be paid.
- Building trails
- Clearing brush
- Re-establishment of riparian buffers and wetlands
- Lots of other outside work
- All work is done outside
- Power tools will not be used by participants
- Each participant needs to bring their own lunch.
- You will receive 30 minutes to eat and/or rest.
- Breaks will be taken as needed during the heat.
- Drinking water will always be available.
- To be determined
- You should bring work gloves, a hat, a reusable water bottle, sunscreen, insect repellent, lunch, closed toe shoes (sandals or open shoes are not allowed) and any other items you may need.
- Please arrive a little early so that you are ready to begin work at 8 a.m.; tardiness may result in dismissal.
- February 21, 2022 – April 8, 2022- Completed application packets can be submitted at Bass Lake starting at 8am on February 21, 2022. All applications must be in by 5:00pm on April 8, 2022. Late applications will not be accepted.
For more specific information or questions, please contact Carolyn Couch, Bass Lake Park Manager at (919) 557-2496 or email@example.com.