- Yard waste schedule through February 2024: Peak Leaf Season
- Yard waste cart collection beginning in March 2024
- Place yard waste out for collection no more than 24 hours in advance of your collection day.
- Do not bag your yard waste.
- Keep different types of yard waste separate. Different trucks collect different types of yard waste. The vacuum truck that collects lighter yard waste can be damaged by sticks.
- Piles of yard waste should be placed at the edge of your front yard off the street pavement.
- Yard waste contaminated with non-organic rubbish will be left at the curb for disposal by the resident.
- Report a yard waste concern through Holly Springs 311.
- Read the complete yard waste ordinance.
How to dispose of...
|Item||Now||Beginning in March 2024 with Cart Collection|
|Grass clippings||Place at edge of front yard, off street pavement. Do not bag.||Directly inside your cart|
|Leaves, pine needles||Rake to the edge of your front yard, off the street pavement. Do not bag.|
|Small limbs, plant or hedge clippings||Cut to single stalks no more than 6 feet in length, no more than 6 inches in diameter, and tie with non-plastic biodegradable twine or rope in bundles weighing less than 50 pounds.||Directly inside your cart. (Do not bundle with twine or rope.)|
|Dead plants/shrubs||Cut limbs from the root ball, and remove all dirt. Cut to single stalks no more than 4 feet in length. Tie with non-plastic biodegradable twine or rope in bundles weighing less than 50 pounds. Place at edge of front yard, off street pavement.||Directly inside your cart. The lid must close with no more than a 6-inch gap between the cart and lid for collection.|
|Dirt, root balls, mulch, concrete, rocks, construction debris, pallets, and all sizes of lumber, including mailbox posts.||Not collected.||Not collected.|
|Large quantities of yard waste||This applies to loads exceeding 2½ cubic yards, about the size of load a pickup truck can carry, or exceeding 50 lbs. Click here for more information.||This applies to loads exceeding 2½ cubic yards, about the size of load a pickup truck can carry, or exceeding 50 lbs. Click here for more information.|
|Debris cut by landscape or tree service contractors or commercial employees||Not collected.||Not collected.|
|Christmas trees||Remove of all decorations and other objects, including tinsel and nails, before leaving the tree at the curb. The trees are chipped for mulch. Trees with objects on them must be left behind since they could damage the chipping machine.|
To dispose of yard waste yourself:
Want to get rid of leaves in advance of your zone’s scheduled collection? Residents can take any amount of yard waste to the yard waste convenience center at no additional charge. Click here for details!
Have yard waste that isn't accepted at the curb? Different facilities within Wake County accept yard waste. Fees vary. Click here for more information.