NPDES Phase II Post-Construction Stormwater Management
The Town's NPDES Phase II Post-Construction Stormwater Ordinance (Town of Holly Springs Code of Ordinances, Chapter 8, Article V) and Post-Construction Stormwater Management Program requirements apply to development and redevelopment projects and provide compliance with the Town’s federally-mandated National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Phase II Stormwater Program. The program includes:
- Town of Holly Springs Engineering Design and Construction Standards, Section 8 Stormwater Design Specifications
- Town of Holly Springs Engineering Design and Construction Standards, forms for Stormwater Plan Review
- The Town requires a Natural Resources Inventory for new and redevelopment projects: major residential subdivision plans, master plans, special exception uses, development plans and planned unit development master plans. Please bring a completed inventory form and supporting documents to concept meetings with the Engineering Department. This information will be used to help determine natural resource requirements (such as a flood study and stormwater and environmental plan requirements) of the development petition.
- Town of Holly Springs Development Procedures Manual (DPM) - 8.02 Stormwater Permit Procedure
- Stormwater sureties: performance and maintenance sureties are required ensure the construction and long-term operation for all structural stormwater BMPs.
- Town of Holly Springs DPM - 8.03 Stormwater Surety Procedure (Amended Resolution No. 09-34)
Other NPDES Phase II Post-Construction Stormwater Agencies
- North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality, Division of Energy, Mineral and Land Resources Energy, Mineral, and Land Resources Stormwater Permitting Program: This agency regulates the post-construction stormwater programs including the NPDES General and Individual Stormwater permits. The Town of Holly Springs has been issued a NPDES Phase II Stormwater Permit from the state and is required to administer the post-construction stormwater program to meet the permit requirements.
- North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality, Division of Water Resources Water Quality Permitting Section: This agency permits impacts to streams, wetlands and the Neuse buffer. The Town’s Post-Construction Management Program is state-approved as a certified stormwater program, which allows all stormwater projects to be reviewed by the Town.
- US Army Corps of Engineers: This link is to the regional field office that permits impacts to streams and wetlands regulated by the federal government.
- US Environmental Protection Agency: This agency regulates the NPDES Phase II Stormwater Program.
Helpful NPDES Phase II Post-Construction Stormwater Links
- EPA Post-Construction Runoff Control Fact Sheet
- Low Impact Development (LID) Center: Non-profit national research organization that focuses on sustainable stormwater management solutions
- North Carolina State University Stormwater Engineering Group: Research and educational opportunities
- Storm Water Association of North Carolina: Resources and information about stormwater in North Carolina.
- Water Resources Research Institute: Erosion control educational opportunities including workshops, publications and newsletters.