Can I, as homeowner, do my own work?
Yes, property owner (single family dwellings only) can do their own building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work. The owner does not need to be licensed in any of these areas; however state law requires that the property be the owner’s primary residence for at least twelve months after completion of the work. A notarized affidavit is required. Owner Affidavit

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit?
2. I built a bonus room (or any project) without a permit and now want to sell my house, but the square footage does not match the tax record. Is there anything I can do to fix this discrepancy?
3. Can I, as homeowner, do my own work?
4. Do I need a state license to complete this project?
5. What is a premise number?
6. How can I access the NC Building Code?
7. Can I have my building's final inspection at the same time as my electrical, mechanical and plumbing inspections?
8. Can I get my framing inspection before my rough-in inspections?
9. I found that the previous owner of my house finished off the bonus room without obtaining a building permit. Can this be permitted? If so, what are the process and requirements to obtain a permit?
10. When do I need to request a footing inspection?
11. How can I access the Public Information Search?
12. How much will my permit cost?
13. Is a permit needed to install a swimming pool (above or underground)?
14. How can I find out what time the inspector will be at my job?
15. When do I pay my permit fees?