Traffic signals and signalized crosswalks soon will be installed at the intersection of Main Street and Village Walk Drive, improving motorist and pedestrian safety near the entrances to the Walmart and South Park shopping centers.
The signalized intersection will allow drivers exiting the shopping centers to turn either right or left onto Main Street.
During installation, expected to begin in January and take a couple months:
- Drivers may only turn right into and out of the shopping centers. (Once the signal is installed, drivers will be able to turn both left and right.)
- This allows the installation to be completed as quickly and safely as possible.
Why this signal and layout is needed:
- Safety for both drivers and pedestrians.
- Green light time for drivers on Main Street is optimized by allowing motorists to turn only left or right out of the shopping centers. This reduces the likelihood of the new signal causing additional backups on the nearby N.C. 55 bypass.
Why this signal is being installed now:
National traffic engineering standards showed a signal was not warranted when the Main Street extension was constructed. Since the road extension’s opening, additional studies have shown that the intersection merits a signal.
- The signal will operate on flash for about a week following installation. When it is fully activated, the signal will be monitored as timing is adjusted and optimized.
- The town is sharing the cost for the signal installation with the N.C. Department of Transportation using funding associated with the Main Street Extension project.
- Ultimate plans for the intersection call for a grade-separated interchange with Main Street as an overpass above the bypass.
For questions or to report concerns, contact Holly Springs Engineering at (919) 557-3938.
Click here for an enlarged map showing the street network during and after construction.